Friday, August 8, 2008

Unsigned Letter

***********************************
The SKHS Class of “73 Reunion Committee recently received the following unsigned letter. The letter is printed unedited and in it’s entirety.
***********************************

“73 Rules!” It is a phrase I’ve raised my teenage daughters with; who now, or have since, attended South. I’ve really spent a lot of time lately, thinking of us,

I attended South Kitsap schools since second grade. I spent a large majority of my childhood growing up with you – my classmates.

At our ten year reunion – we had a memory table of those peers who had died since graduation. We looked into the smiles of old-faded memories of each other, as we toasted and reminest good old South days. It was party time and it came and went quickly. Ten entire years ago now!

A great deal has changed since, in my life. Things that were given brief thought – even ten years ago, today – hold so much more importance.

November 3, 1983, one of my closest friends ever – was killed in one of the most horrible car accidents in Kitsap County. She was kind, considerate, loving – a true friend. She was also one of our classmates, Tania E. (Williams) Davis.

Less then four months after our ten year reunion – Tania’s life was snuffed out. She and four other members of her family were killed instantly. Tania had a strong faith in God; and we who knew her, believe we will see her again someday. I wanted her, and all our other lost classmates, remembered. Even more importantly; I wanted to awaken each of us to the importance of nights like this – our twenty year reunion.

When you shake hands, hug and smile back into those faces of your long time friends; take an extra second to embrace the special privilege of seeing one another again. I know,…I wish Tania was here.
**************************

No comments: