Friday, August 8, 2008

HAWKINSON, NANCY (MUSSEY)

San Antonio, TX

Spouse: Dennis
Children: Season - 16, Troy - 14

I moved to San Antonio one week after graduation where I worked for Friedrich A/C then I had my daughter and the opportunity arose for me to open my own daycare. I have been a daycare provider for sixteen years. Since 1989 I have been working on a social work degree through night school. During the past year the opportunity arose to counsel juveniles at Bexar County Juvenile Detention Center. I am also a volunteer at the San Antonio Police Station as a counselor to Battered Women in Crisis. Recently I have been approved to do a video for Family Assistance Crisis Team training center, who train new officers about family violence.

I know you are wondering “Gee, she must have been battered with juvenile delinquents for kids.” The truth is, I’ve been married to the same man for twenty years and we have two “honor” students: one cheerleader and lifeguard and the other a football player and a Black Belt. The detention center and the battered women’s counseling follow my degree goals. I really enjoy both and am about to add a counselor position at a “safe” boys and girls club in downtown San Antonio. It is definitely a way to “feel something real” and get a picture of the other side of the world we live in.

My husband is a “High Voltage” Electrician and a Police Officer for our community. About a year and a half ago we both decided that since our children were getting older, we’d like to start new careers. So by the twenty- fifth reunion we will both be doing full time what we can only accomplish part-time now. Our family has been a strong unit. We’ve enjoyed sports: volleyball, basketball, football and cheerleader competition. We camp, hike and go tubing and snorkeling.

Our most memorable travels are to Colorado, Florida and all over Texas. We’ve been to fifteen states and Mexico in the twenty years since SKHS.

Our son will be a freshman in 1993 and my daughter a junior. Because their school begins August 16th, I won’t be able to attend the reunion. I was really hoping for July but I guess I’ll wait for the next one.

It has been a busy twenty years and I look forward to more interesting stuff happening in my life. I hope to hear from all of you after you get the update book, please write. We’ll have to start a “Letter” reunion for those of us who can never seem to make the real one in person.

Y’all have a real good time and know that I’ll be thinking of you on that night.
Remember most: Football game, dances, band, the fabulous plays, and only a few responsibilities and the people …mostly the people
Looking forward to seeing: Everyone! Please write and send a recent photo of you and your family, okay?

No comments: